Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thing #82: Watch every episode of Sex and the City (in order)

satc

Done.  That was too easy.  Just for fun, here are some of my most memorable moments from all six seasons.

Best of… Sex and the City

carrie the real me

Models and Real People

In The Real Me, Carrie is roped into a production of a fashion show featuring supermodels and famous New Yorkers as ‘real people’. She thinks she’ll be wearing a beautiful blue sequinned dress by Dolce & Gabbana, but shows up to discover there’s been a change of plan. She is presented with a pair of nude jewelled panties and a blazer. She freaks out but braves it anyway- just to fall flat midway down the catwalk. Heidi Klum follows, stepping over her and making Stanford exclaim “She’s fashion roadkill!” There is a moment and then Carries picks herself up, smiles and keeps going… what we all have to do in life, after all.

hot child in the city smoking pot

The Pot

In season three Carrie relives her teenage years with Wade Powerlad Adams, a comic store clerk who still lives with his parents. It’s all mellow and carefree (complete with scooter rides- yes really) until Wade’s mother walks in on them both smoking pot in their upper east-side apartment. Wade shamelessly pins the blame on Carrie. Wade’s mother asks “Is it true Carrie? Did you bring marijuana into this house?”, to which she reponds “Yes Mrs. Adams, I brought the marijuana into the house… and I’m taking it with me when I go”. That’s called making the best of a bad situation.

berger

Berger

Everyone has an opinion on the Aidan vs. Big debate, but what about Berger? I’d support Team Berger for sure. I would have thought the fact that his (in)famous He’s just not that into you speech inspired a whole movie is reason enough to make him a significant player? I liked him for his rugged good looks, his goofy wit and the bike. I love that bike! Carrie really annoyed me in the episode where she doesn’t want to go to a red-carpet event on it- she is being really prissy and complaining about what the helmet will do to her hair… just get on the damn bike Carrie! (Okay he did break up with her on a post-it note and that’s worse I suppose).

harry and char

When Harry and Charlotte get together

Harry and Charlotte’s relationship tugs at everyone’s heart strings, even mine! Harry is everything Charlotte is not looking for in a man- and he appears at a time when Charlotte is finally coming to terms with the long-term prospect of being single. When Harry confesses that he thinks Charlotte is the sexiest woman he’s ever met, it’s so cute that her response is “Harry, don’t be ridiculous, I’m wearing my glasses!”. Its funny how someone you don’t even like to begin with (Charlotte describes him as unattractive, pushy and sweaty) can turn out to be the love of your life. In fictional TV shows at least. (The proposal was sweet too, remember?).

manolos

A woman’s right to shoes

In this episode, Carrie is forced to take off her shoes (a health hazard) before coming into her friend’s baby shower. At the end of the night, her precious Manolos are lost and she is offered neither sympathy nor compensation from her friend. Carrie is understandably irked and begins to consider all the celebrations (and subsequent expensive gifts) dedicated to people in relationships- engagement parties, weddings, anniversaries… but nothing for singles! (It’s so true- why are there no Getting your shit together and making it on your own parties?) In the end, Carrie calls her friend to announce that she is getting married- to herself. She registers for only one gift: Manolo Blahniks and her friend concedes to buy the for her. Happy Ending. The moral of the story is shoes are important to some people and you should, like, respect that!

robert and miranda

Robert and Miranda’s short-lived romance

Do you remember Dr. Robert Leeds?  I loved him!  He was such a man.  A man man.  You know what I mean.  I also loved him because he had a central role in two of my all-time favourite SATC scenes:  that awkward post-break-up encounter on the stairs (if you haven’t seen it, watch it immediately HERE) and who can forget when he uses a tampon to stop Steve’s nosebleed?  If there is any better way to emasculate your girlfriend’s ex, then I don’t know of it.

big ending

The Big Ending

Confession:  I didn’t like Big.  But I have to admit, the ending was well-played.  Big realises that he can’t live without Carrie and goes to Paris to try to win her back.  Conveniently this occurs just when Carrie wants to break up with the crazy Russian, Petrovsky.  The ending was bound to be cheesy (I was prepared for that) but they managed to fall just short of the point where I want to throw up.  Bravo!

€5 has been donated to UNICEF Ireland for the completion of this ‘thing’.  Click here if you too would like to donate online.

19 comments:

MARTA said...

I am a big fan of the Sex and the city series and i actually own the whole collection (they are always ready to be watched... and rewatched..). I have to say that all of these were really great moments and i agree with you when you say didn't link Big so much.. from all of the guys he encounters my favorite was definitely Aidan. He was so cute and down to earth.. the perfect match for crazy Carrie, i think.

Emmylou said...

Another fan of SATC here! Great picks of memorable moments. I did love that Models episode....heehee...and you know, I really liked Aidan a lot more than BIG!

Nicole said...

Love the lace shorts in your previous post. So wish I was into S&TC as everyone else is......

trishie said...

I'm a SATC fan too! I remember the real model episode well...

oomph. said...

I would love to watch the early seasons all over again!

[oomph.]

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love that show..those were some of my favourite episodes :)) x

Paulina said...

I love it!

Couture Carrie said...

Love your selections, especially the right to shoes episode!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

Brilliant post Thelma, took me right back! I so wish they hadn't done the moveies as in many ways they ruined the legacy of the TV series but this has reminded me how brilliant it actually was.

A Certain Vintage said...

Bautifully written piece, I love revisiting SATC! I was always a fan of Aidan but the being really does bring the Big cynics round!
xx

Anonymous said...

Great selection! :)

Imke said...

SATC is just wonderful!

Xo, Imke

Inopportune said...

a u mnie ładna pogoda :D

Unknown said...

I love Carrie!! :)

http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

xoxo

Ceciliette said...

sex and the city never gets old.. i could watch it forever..

more like my favourite moment, here it is my fave quote (they have millons of good ones)

"In a city of infinite options, sometimes there's no better feeling than knowing you only have one" <3

Elsa de Diego said...

I'm also one of those! I know all the episodes by heart...still it's so fun and easy to watch! I like the third season a lot. I do think that Berger was such an important player in the series. I think he was really cute -I would have falled for him- but represents a lot of things I don't want in a guy (mostly INSECURITY)

Thelma Frayne said...

Love that quote too Cecilette, there are a lot of good ones in the series... that could be a whole other post!

I actually am a bit of a fan of the first movie Emma! It is one of the only films that makes me cry, but I just find the jilted at the alter thing heartbreaking. The second one was dirt!

Shawna Hynes said...

I'm a huuuuge SATC fan, so absolutely love this post! The first one you listed, Models & Real People is one of my favourites. And being a Big fan, the Big Ending totally tugged at my heart strings! Well there goes my productivity, this post of yours has convinced me a need a SATC marathon immediately!

<3 Shawna
Serpentine Streets

yessie (cinnamonandzoeykisses) said...

Amazing post!! I love, love SATC! I watch all the reruns and it's always like watching it for the first time:)